Can You Change the Terms of a Divorce?

When a divorce is completed, the terms are finalized in a divorce decree. The decree will contain court orders on things like alimonychild supportchild custody and visitation arrangements, and how property is to be divided. But what happens if your circumstances change? Can your divorce decree be changed too, or are you stuck with it for life?

The courts understand that life changes, and a divorce decree may have to change along with it in the future – provided that it is for legitimate reasons.

Here is a list of some of the things that may be modified with examples of legitimate circumstances:

  • Parenting plans. If one parent wishes to relocate, a modification may be warranted. Changes to a parenting plan may also be in order if one parent is no longer fit to be responsible for children due to an addiction, mental health challenge, arrest, or similar circumstance.
  • Spousal support. If your ex-spouse begins earning a higher level of income, for example, or if he or she remarries, you may ask the court to change the amount of spousal support you owe or terminate your responsibility.
  • Child support. You may ask to have your child support responsibility changed if you have a major change in your finances, such as if you lose your job or are diagnosed with a serious illness and accrue medical bills.

If you believe you have a justified reason to modify your divorce decree, talk to an Austin divorce lawyer at The Law Office of Janet McCullar, P.C. We can help you with the modifications process and ensure that a new arrangement is made that fits your needs. With over two decades of experience, our Board Certified Family lawyer, Janet McCullar, has handled countless modifications and other family law matters and is genuinely interested in the wellbeing of her clients.

Previous ArticleNext Article