Janet is a nationally respected trial attorney known for her skill and
success in the courtroom. Janet has represented clients in hundreds of
complex divorce and custody cases. Despite her skill as a litigator, Janet’s
cases are routinely resolved amicably whenever possible to save the client
the time, cost and pain involved in litigation. If litigation cannot be
avoided, you need the services of a respected and skilled litigator.
Janet is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
She was also selected to be a Fellow in the prestigious
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, an organization of the nation’s top divorce attorneys.
Janet is a frequent author and speaker on divorce and custody issues.
Away from the office, Janet is a mother of three children. Janet has a
passion for physical fitness, reading, the arts, traveling and community
service. In the recent years, Janet has enjoyed learning to sail.
- Complex Divorce
- Contested Custody
- Board Certified Family Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Honors & Affiliations
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers – Fellow
- Texas Super Lawyers – 2008, 2010 – present
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law – 2011 – present
- Robert W. Calvert Inn. American Inns of Court – Associate (1995-1997);
- Austin Bar Association – Family Law Section
- Martindale-Hubbell – “AV” rating
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialist
- Travis County Family Law Advocates
- Diocese of Austin, Texas
- Assembly of Catholic Professionals
- Our Faith, Our Legacy Campaign
- Catholic Services Appeal
- Annunciation Maternity Home
- Society of St. John, The Evangelist
Sample Articles & Presentations
- “5 Tips for Moving on After Divorce,” Influential Magazine,
- “Is it Time? When to Consult with or Hire a Divorce Lawyer: Top 5
Considerations,” Influential Magazine, July/August 2014.
- “Balancing (Health, Fitness, Family) & Family Law,” Influential
Magazine, March/April 2014.
- “Financial Cheating,” Texas NSIDE Business, December 2014.
- “International and Domestic Jurisdiction Issues,” Family Law
on the Front Lines, Austin, Texas, June 2011.
- “Termination and Step-Parent Adoptions,” Advanced Family Law
Drafting Course, Houston, Texas, December 2010.
- “Marital Property Agreements: And You Know It Don’t Come Easy,”
2009 State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas, June 2009.
- “Different Ways to Trace Separate Property,” New Frontiers
in Marital Property Law, Napa, California, October 2008.
- “Proving Economic Contribution and Reimbursement Claims,” 30th
Annual Marriage Dissolution Institute, El Paso, Texas, May 2007.
- “Temporary Orders: Yes, It’s Really a Trial – How to
Get Prepared,” 32rd Annual Advanced Family Law Course, San Antonio,
Texas, August 2006.
- “Factors and Issues Judges Use in a SAPCR Case,” 29th Marriage
Dissolution Institute, Austin, Texas, April 2006.
- “Business Evaluation in Small Estates,” Family Law on the Front
Lines, Galveston, Texas, June 2005.
- “I’ve got a Divorce in My Guardianship Case!,” Guardianship
and Advanced Elder Law Course, Dallas, Texas, March 2003.
- “Defending a Respondent in a Child Support Enforcement Matter,”
Trial Tactics in Family Law Cases Involving HIV/AIDS, AIDS Services of
Austin, Austin, Texas, November 2000.
- “Family Limited Partnership Basics,” State Bar Section Report:
Family Law, Volume 2000-2, Spring 2000.
- J.D., Whittier College School of Law, Whittier, CA
- B.S., Texas A&M University, College Station, TX