Property division is one of the most important aspects of divorce, as it can play a determining factor in your quality of life following the end of your marriage. When it comes to dividing up assets, debts, and property, many couples cannot come to an amicable agreement as each party often believes they are entitled to more than the other. An experienced Austin divorce lawyer will be able to ensure you are taken care of during this process, which is why you shouldn’t hesitate to protect yourself.
The following are useful tips and tricks for property division:
- Don’t hide your assets, as this can be used against you later in a multitude of ways
- Consult an Austin divorce lawyer in order to be up-to-date on all Texas laws
- Pets are property in the eyes of the law
- Consider your long-term financial abilities
- Think twice before you fight for the marital home, as you may not be able to afford it on only one income
- Don’t fight over the little things, as these can turn into long drawn-out and expensive arguments
- Remember, these settlements are final, so make sure you aren’t giving in just to get it over with
Contact Our Austin Divorce Lawyers Today
At the Law Office of Janet McCullar, P.C., we strive to decrease your stress and emotional turmoil during the divorce process, because we understand how debilitating it can be. Our award-winning Austin divorce lawyers will accurately and thoroughly evaluate your rights to ensure you are left with the assets you are entitled to. Whether you are concerned about bank accounts, intellectual property, businesses, real estate, investment accounts, or various high-value items, we want to defend your interests.