Janet is a nationally respected trial attorney known for her skill and success in the courtroom. Janet has represented clients in hundreds of complex divorce and custody cases. Despite her skill as a litigator, Janet’s cases are routinely resolved amicably whenever possible to save the client the time, cost and pain involved in litigation. If litigation cannot be avoided, you need the services of a respected and skilled litigator.
Janet is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She was also selected to be a Fellow in the prestigious American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, an organization of the nation’s top divorce attorneys.
Janet is a frequent author and speaker on divorce and custody issues.
Away from the office, Janet is a mother of three children. Janet has a passion for physical fitness, reading, the arts, traveling and community service. In the recent years, Janet has enjoyed learning to sail.
- Complex Divorce
- Contested Custody
- Board Certified Family Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Honors & Affiliations
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers – Fellow
- Texas Super Lawyers – 2008, 2010 – present
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law – 2011 – present
- Robert W. Calvert Inn. American Inns of Court – Associate (1995-1997); Master (2012-present)
- Austin Bar Association – Family Law Section
- Martindale-Hubbell – “AV” rating
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialist
- Travis County Family Law Advocates
- Helping Hand Home for Children
- Austin Gives
- SafePlace for Domestic Violence
- Impact Austin, Women’s Philanthropy
- Austin Bar Foundation – Sustaining Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation – Sustaining Life Fellow
- Travis County Women Lawyers Foundation
- University of Texas Center for Women in Law
- Youth Education in Arts (YEA!) – Board of Directors (2012 – present)
- Blanton Museum of Art – Directors Circle
- Austin Symphony Orchestra
- Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- Crossmen Productions, Inc.
- The Cadets
- Imagine A Way
- People’s Community Clinic
- Temple Free Clinic
- Diocese of Austin, Texas
- Assembly of Catholic Professionals
- Our Faith, Our Legacy Campaign
- Catholic Services Appeal
- Annunciation Maternity Home
- Society of St. John, The Evangelist
Sample Articles & Presentations
- “5 Tips for Moving on After Divorce,” Influential Magazine, January/February 2015.
- “Is it Time? When to Consult with or Hire a Divorce Lawyer: Top 5 Considerations,” Influential Magazine, July/August 2014.
- “Balancing (Health, Fitness, Family) & Family Law,” Influential Magazine, March/April 2014.
- “Financial Cheating,” Texas NSIDE Business, December 2014.
- “International and Domestic Jurisdiction Issues,” Family Law on the Front Lines, Austin, Texas, June 2011.
- “Termination and Step-Parent Adoptions,” Advanced Family Law Drafting Course, Houston, Texas, December 2010.
- “Marital Property Agreements: And You Know It Don’t Come Easy,” 2009 State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas, June 2009.
- “Different Ways to Trace Separate Property,” New Frontiers in Marital Property Law, Napa, California, October 2008.
- “Proving Economic Contribution and Reimbursement Claims,” 30th Annual Marriage Dissolution Institute, El Paso, Texas, May 2007.
- “Temporary Orders: Yes, It’s Really a Trial – How to Get Prepared,” 32rd Annual Advanced Family Law Course, San Antonio, Texas, August 2006.
- “Factors and Issues Judges Use in a SAPCR Case,” 29th Marriage Dissolution Institute, Austin, Texas, April 2006.
- “Business Evaluation in Small Estates,” Family Law on the Front Lines, Galveston, Texas, June 2005.
- “I’ve got a Divorce in My Guardianship Case!,” Guardianship and Advanced Elder Law Course, Dallas, Texas, March 2003.
- “Defending a Respondent in a Child Support Enforcement Matter,” Trial Tactics in Family Law Cases Involving HIV/AIDS, AIDS Services of Austin, Austin, Texas, November 2000.
- “Family Limited Partnership Basics,” State Bar Section Report: Family Law, Volume 2000-2, Spring 2000.
- J.D., Whittier College School of Law, Whittier, CA
- B.S., Texas A&M University, College Station, TX